6.10.2008

Vote =====>>

7 comments:

Juliet said...

i don't understand this poll. I just picked the more strange answer, because... I am strange. As you know.

Unknown said...

Getting paid to rub flesh? Sounds like a dream job to me. (OK, I guess not if it's the flesh of a corpse). I think some clarification is in order!

Samara said...

I agree, are you a meat tenderizer? or a massage therapist? it matters

M A Haddox said...

Fine, fine. I was going to wait to explain, but I'm incredibly bored this early morning.

The poll is to assist me in what choice I should make for my 2nd job.

I can continue doing what i am doing now, my graveyard shift as a security monitor... watching cameras all night trying not to crash on the keyboard. Or, I can rub my bosses arm 6 nights a week for about 2 hours.

Here's the deal: he can't sleep wel at night. Wether it's the Parkinson's or his undiagnosed sleep apnea, he greatly desires someone to "rub his arm" every night to get his tremors to calm down so he can get some sleep. I've done it just one night so far a few weeks back. I came in the next morning and I asked him how he slept. He said, "Great! I didn't wake up for 3 hours!"

...That's how bad his nights are.

Monitarily, It'd be a pay cut helping him out. I would get paid $18/hr as opposed to the $9/hr I get now at zombie job, but the hours would decrease from ~27/week to at the most 12 hours/week.

I've actually made a decision. I will rub Alan's arm.

Reasons are:
*I don't really need the 2nd job's $ with my recent raise, but it's still nice to have additional income to pay off leftover debt.
*I won't have to sacrifice any daytime play with wife and the dorks.. kids for sleep.
*Selfishness... There is a bit of personal gratification in doing something so outside the limits of my comfort. "Rubbing his arm" is really not how it goes. I only rub his arm from elbox to wrist about 15 times, the rest is holding, stroking, stretching his hand and fingers. Something you picture an elderly couple doing towards the end of their years. A lot of things go through my mind which allow me to analyze myself as a human being, child of God, father, husband, Priesthood holder...

So, yeah. Although having more time with the family is certainly a great benefit, the personal time for self-evaluation and exercising one of the truest forms of charity is right up there. Well, not true charity, cause I am getting paid for it.. I mean, I'm doing it not for pay, but I also can say that I probably wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't getting paid...

I'm hoping that I can also share part of this experience with Jay. I'd like to show her how to do it so she can do it when I'm sick or have a meeting or something that might one day come up. When you experience such a "different" thing like this, it's nice to be able to share it hoping others will feel the same amount of comfort, discomfort, and complexity of thought when you're doing nothing for about 2 hours.

Samara said...

so at 18 an hour...do you make house calls? my legs could use some work since I am on them all day at work....

Haddorkus said...

I was going to vote for flesh rubbing anyway. It just sounds better than zombie shift. Who knew you could get paid for that, very cool. And nice of you and all that good stuff. Good luck.

Pure Golding said...

I think you're a great man. It takes a very Christlike person to do that for someone else (even if you're getting paid). I admire you. Thank you for the great example. It must mean you're growing up a bit. But not too much I hope! Keep that boyish sense of humor we all love so much!