1.27.2008

Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley

Thank you very much to mum who called me in Pennsylvania to inform me that President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away at 7pm MST this evening.

It shouldn't have been surprising that he died at the age of 97, but to me and Jessica, it was. President Hinckley was so full of life, happiness, and initiative that he seemed far from passing away. Despite the limits of our mortal lives, we felt he was, as Jessica put it, "invincible."

My thoughts will be deep this evening and many nights to come. President Hinckley did many wonderful things for the church. It was his to bring the Mormon faith out of obscurity, giving many national interviews with Larry King and Tom Brokaw, building close relationships with the Pope and United States national leaders. He was also responsible for the building of Latter Day Saint Temples, which are used to perform sacred ordinances to bring man closer to God. Before being called as a prophet in 1995, there were 50 of these temples throughout the world. As of right now, there are 124, and many under development and construction.

But it wasn't the accomplishments he acheived that guides me to much reverance and personal thought to his passing away, but it was his love for life, his love for his wife, and his love for every person he met and didn't. He love was, noting to avoid cliche, unconditional. There was no man or woman in which he held contempt for.

I will write more of my trip at a later time, but right now is a time for my thoughts to be upon President Hinckley's, as he would say, "Marveous work" and ministry. It was The Christ he loved, and it was The Saviour in whom his mission was about. Might I be able to be one day such a man who thought nothing of himself, but everything of others. I know he was ordained for His ministry of service and that he had lived his life giving the message of the Gospel of Christ to the World.

I extend the invitiation to all who read to bring your thoughts to President Hinckley, his family, and Christ in whom he served.

1 comment:

littlegloria TREASURESREBORN said...

you're welcome. as all my chillun found out, I couldn't speak without wetted eyes. I know he was ready, but as usual, I'm not the one that's ready for my loved ones to "move on."
Your blog post was so eloquently stated. Wow, I have some wizard, genius children, who have a talent for writing and expressing "just what needs to be said "in so many beautiful ways.
The "shredder" slide is hilarious!!! Love always and forever, Mum