1.25.2008

A few days in Hershey, PA

8:03 PM me: So, can I tell you about what's happened over here?
Jessica: sure!
8:04 PM me: K, lemme move to the bed, my shoulder is killing me
8:05 PM Jessica: oh! wait!! I remember what it was I wanted to mention to you before
before I forget, I'd better tell you now
me: OK, go ahead
8:06 PM Jessica: so, there was this song that I remember from when I was a kid. Haven't thought about it in a long time, so it's kind of a coincidence this happened now, because I think (but I'm not sure) that it may have been on that same tape/record as all those other songs Angie put on the MP3
do you remember a song that went, "Hey (held out over 3 notes) won't somebody come and play with me?"
me: Yup
Jessica: etc.. had lines like "You be the good guy, I'll be the bad guy"
8:07 PM ok. was it on that same record?
me: Yeah, it was either a girl or a boy with a girly voice singing it
Jessica: sun's setting fast and we've only barely started..
yeah! so you totally remember it too! I knew I wasn't crazy
so anyhow, this morn..
right after Hyrum got on the bus, the tv was still on and Yo Gabba Gabba came on
8:08 PM and there it was! They played that song
redone, but it was that song
me: Really?? lol
Jessica: different singer and instrumentation, but the same tune and words
me: One of the creators must have remembered it :)
The earlier one was kinda hoke
Jessica: yeah, I couldn't believe it
8:09 PM Jessica: well, this kinda was too, but not as bad
8:11 PM me: Ready to hear what I've been up to?
Jessica: yes
me: Ok, so we took only 3 flights, 4 hours total in the air


me: We got here about 6:45ish
We went into the party room and they had games all over.
NEOS, of course, which I died of exhaustion on.. but also a racing arcade and pinball machines
8:13 PM they also had a green screen where they covered everything but your heads and then placed you on the projectors with pre-recorded dancing bodies
And also the beer was good
...kidding, but there was like, 4 cash bars
Jessica: oh, mom did that dancing thing at a CU party. she had a CD of it. was funny
8:14 PM me: Yeah, I was going to do it but I got pooped after 4 games on the NEOS
Jessica: lol
me: My legs are still feeling it, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to compete tomorrow
(no chance for winning the flat screen tv ; ;)
Jessica: you'd better!
I want those fabulous prizes!!
8:15 PM me: Yeah, I probably will -- but if it's a knockout competition... I won't be able to do more than 3 tries
Jessica: so position yourself at the end of the line so you only have to beat a few people, lol
me: lol, good idea!
8:16 PM Let them all lose out first, right?
Jessica: right!
and then the champ will be tired when he gets to you
me: Well, there are 24 year olds that obviously work out
Jessica: lol
me: Stupid health conscience people
So, that was last night
8:17 PM Today we had a sales meeting for the whole day.. they basically brought the "Fish!" people in
Jessica: lol fish.
8:18 PM me: I never really liked the "Fish" vision... all it is is telling people to think outside the box and have fun... then they blab about it with many motivational words
8:19 PM I also think it is for entry level people in sales and customer service... it was definitely the wrong target audience with so many people that had a lot of sales experience in that room
The first half went ok, because it was structured; but after lunch it tanked
8:20 PM They came back and said, "I heard some people tell us they had questions on how to overcome objections like price and competition. We're going to talk about that for 2 hours"
8:21 PM So all it was was people making scenarios on how to overcome objections.... It changed from a Vision statement to Sales 101 real fast, and you could tell a lot of people hated it
Then they rushed through the final slides on the PowerPoint just summarizing, all the while trying to make it a feel good experience.
8:22 PM I even was optimistic and participated quite a bit, but you could still tell it tanked, lol
Oh, well. I told playworld that
Wait... no I didn't
8:23 PM I WON'T tell Playworld that, since they obviously made the decision to do it and I don't want them to feel bad
I told the FISH people that in a comments/performance review sheet
Then, we went to chocolate world!! :D
Want to see some pictures?
8:24 PM Jessica: yeah
(but you should post a blog)
me: I will, but it's hard to find time
I will have plenty of time on Tuesday, maybe Sunday







8:25 PM I only had my phone to take pictures since I didn't think much would come from the event
8:26 PM Oh, the prop plane is in there
8:27 PM The Hershey kiss picture has a story
Ready?
Jessica: yeah
8:28 PM me: So, you know how dorky I am, right?
Jessica: wait
you're dorky?
me: Oh, yeah. You didn't know that, did you?
Jessica: really!?
me: I know my external appearance is that of pure perfect, professionalism, and beauty
But really, it's all a facade
8:29 PM Jessica: wow, you actually used the word facade right!
;)
me: perfection~ See? I even typo sometimes... very rarely, though
And the 3 other big words in that sentence!!?
8:30 PM Jessica: yeah.. I don't think you know what those mean
me: lol
Ok, so... I'm thinking I can get a good picture of the Hershey kiss looking like it fell on top and squashed me
8:31 PM So I asked ... "it" if it will drop on top of me. It gave me two thumbs up (because, you know.. Hershey's Kisses can't talk)
8:32 PM So, I get on the ground and lie down. The kiss tries to get down a bit, but isn't really understanding how to do it (for some reason, I don't think it's ever had a request like this before)
8:33 PM It was standing beside me kinda crouching, and knew it wasn't working, then awkwardly tried to do different things to create the picture...
One of those, it accidentally put on foot over me and kinda... straddled...
I was like, "Oh, no!!" and got up real quick... everyone was laughing. at the situation.
8:34 PM I swear the Hershey kiss turned red...
Quite embarrassing to me, I think I said something like, "No, no! Not that way"
In the end we worked out something a little more... simpler
8:35 PM Jessica: lol
me: I've never had one of my stupid ideas go so bad...
Jessica: I'm sure you have. You've probably just blocked it from your memory
me: lol, hopefully I do on this one too
8:36 PM The Hershey tour was fun, though.
8:37 PM They had a trip similar to "It's A Small World After All". you get in these carts and they take you around showing you how they make chocolate


It takes a cocoa bean 2 weeks to go from a bean to Hershey chocolate
8:38 PM They made over 8mil+ Hershey's kisses today, 450,000 Reece's and 280k Hershey bards
Jessica: it would take me 2 min to devour that chocolate bar
o.o
me: lol
8:39 PM Jessica: that's... a lot
me: Yeah, I have had plenty
When you check in they give you a Hershey bar with your room key
Jessica: hey! ; ;
I want candy
me: I have some for you
But it will probably melt or squash by the time it gets to you
Jessica: yay! just don't get hungry between now and Wednesday afternoon
me: lol
8:40 PM So, lastly, we stayed and ate at Chocolate World and were entertained by a "Mentalist"
8:41 PM It was pretty amazing what he did... all over it in the end is stage magic and mind games and reading body language, but some of them I still can't explain
He'd do things like blindfolding himself and ask people to get $ bills and he'd tell them what type they were
8:42 PM He'd also get a picture of some one's girl and describe what they looked like without looking at them.
He also went around the whole room of 250+ sales people and named everyone of them but 2 handfuls
8:43 PM I'm pretty sure it all equates to early reconnaissance, but exactly how is unknown to me.
I was hoping we were going to have a hypnotist, as I've never seen one of those
8:44 PM Jessica: you haven't?
me: Nope, you know that
Jessica: no, I thought you said you had when I told you about the one that came every year to do assemblies in Rigby
me: Oh, wait... you were hypnotized to forget that whenever I bring that up
Jessica: har har
me: Nah, you remembered wrong
8:45 PM Jessica: I don't remember wrong! That's what YOU do
me: Only because I'm the male part of our marriage
:P
Jessica: other men remember things
me: Of course they do... unless their your husband
me: The wives of those other men have fact that their husbands don't remember things
Jessica: yeah, I don't believe that
8:47 PM me: In the words of Joe, "It's all relaTIVE."
Jessica: I think it's a husband conspiracy so you get out of stuff
I think I'm going to go to bed now


me: Have to get up in 7 hours anyway to get on the bus to drive to Playworld
Jessica: ah
well, g'night I s'pose
8:55 PM gnight

1 comment:

MNATTH said...

Well. Thanks for the insight on your conversation. It was fun to hear what's been up with you guys. Chocolate world sounds awesome!