First off, happy birthday in this past week to my dear friend Sandi, my sister Julie, my mother Jill, and my step-dad Sherwin! Whew! too many birthdays for one week.
In my last entry, I mentioned that Mike and I had been given callings to teach the CTR 5 class. Well, when the Primary President came over to drop off the manual, she extended a calling to Mike to teach the Sunbeam class instead since our son Hyrum is now a Sunbeam. Mike accepted the calling, so he gets to team teach the 3-4 year olds with another brother in the ward while I'm left to defend myself against the 4-5 year olds in my own class. It's not so bad though. I have only 3 kids in my class, and I only have one name that I have to try all that hard to remember since two of them have familiar names... Jessica and Hyrum. My first week of teaching went well enough except that I had planned activities that worked well with a class size of 3. When I got to church, one of the teachers didn't show up, so I had to take the next class up as well, giving me 7 kids. I had to cut some things out of the lesson, and it left me with a nice large gap before the end of the block. Lucky for me, 4-6 year olds love to color and I had brought some pictures that corresponded to the lesson.
Singing and sharing time was fun too. I was afraid that Hyrum would want to come sit with me when he saw me in the Primary room. But he was so well behaved and said "hi" to me from across the room when he walked in, then sat with his own class. He was so well behaved through it all, and got really involved in both the lesson and the singing. There was a bit of confusion when the teacher asked "Hyrum" to come pick cards for a matching game and both Hyrums answered the call. I never imagined that he'd have that problem with his name. During singing time, he was quick to blurt out the correct answer in the "What word comes next" game when his classmate was unable to answer. He seems to be loving Primary.
I got a nice break today when I got to go clothes shopping for my birthday (nearly a month late). Usually I hate to shop for clothes. But today, shopping meant that I left the kids at home with Mike and headed out on my own. As much as I love Hyrum and Emily, it was good to get away from them for a while. I should get at least a week long break from hearing about how Mike has to work so hard all day while I sit at home doing nothing. Maybe I'm slightly evil, but I think it does him good to have to see what it's like every now and then. Actually, Mike's really great with the kids, so I feel completely comfortable leaving him with them from time to time. It's nice to have a husband who I can rely on like that.
Our stake is doing something kind of cool. They've set up a Stake Date Night on Fridays where for four weeks, they're giving ballroom dance lessons. They teach four dances a night, and you can go to as many or as few as you like. On the week of Valentine's Day, they're having a "Sweetheart's Dance" with a live band and refreshments. Mike and I didn't make it to last week's lesson, but we plan to try to go to the next 3 and to the dance at the end. I'm really excited about it because I was really into ballroom dance in high school and even a little bit in college. Mike and I haven't been dancing since we got married. That's over 6 years. The lessons will be a nice refresher. The only problem is finding someone to watch the kids. They really should offer a nursery for these things.
Well, enough rambling. I think I need to make Mike write the next post since he's the one who started this blog, but I'm the one who always gets stuck updating it.
gifts for her
4 years ago
1 comment:
I think its a great idea to let Mike watch while you get away once in a while. Like you said, he gets a feel for what its like alone with them and you get some much needed time alone. I feel so relieved sometimes when Ken has to leave town for a day. It gives me time to feel like I'm not being "watched" all the time! Not that he "watches" me but its nice to have some privacy once in a while!
Post a Comment