7.31.2007

Does it ever end?

Before I jump into some of the heavier details of our life, I must note that we read Harry Potter 7. Wow! What a great book! But it's so strange to think of it as being over... no more books to look forward to and speculate about in a few summers.

Ok, now for the rest. This is all rather difficult to talk about, and I hope I don't sound too depressing.

Thursday was the worst day ever. Late in the afternoon, the Department of Health and Welfare dropped by unannounced at our house. They invited themselves in and asked me if I knew why they were there. I told them no. They said that they had received a report that we are neglecting our kids by not feeding them or taking them to doctor appointments. This is absolutely ludicrous. Of course we feed our kids! They're just small. And if the doctor isn't worried, they shouldn't be either. As for not taking them to doctor appointments, that's just stupid. We've been taking Emily to the doctor more often than regular because of her health issues, so who knows where that came from. Health and Welfare is notorious for twisting things though. I'm sure someone called them and told them that we needed help financially because we can't afford baby food and have no medical insurance. But naturally, that MUST mean that we're neglecting and abusing our kids. I was so furious. They sat in my living room with a tape recorder for about an hour interviewing me. They took pictures of my house, my kids, even my cat. They checked our cat to see if she was diseased or abused. They wanted a closer look at Hyrum, but I insisted they leave him alone since he was napping. They told me they had to at least "Lay eyes on him" to confirm that he was ok. I was so infuriated. Of course, I kept my cool while they were there, but the second they left, I went to pieces. Why anyone would think that I wouldn't take care of my kids, I don't know. They're very happy and healthy. They're just small. These people at Health and Welfare have a chart that tells them how big a kid should be at a specific age but have no medical training. My kids are too small by the charts. Well, big deal! Their pediatrician says they're ok, and I'm gonna take his word for it. After all, he has a PHD and an MD. That's a heck of a lot better than a chart. They came back again the next morning when Hyrum was awake, and they could see him and Emily playing and smiling and giving us hugs and kisses. I think they were a little disappointed that they couldn't find any reason to take our kids away. Guess they'll have to fill their torn family quota on someone else.

As if this wasn't already stressful enough, Mike got a call while on his way to an Elder's Quarm meeting (he's the Elder's Quarm secretary now). It was our landlord who has a habit of bugging us constantly. She's at the house about 2-3 times a week and gives us absolutely no privacy. So it wasn't a big shock when she told Mike that she wanted to sell the house and we had until Saturday afternoon (not quite 2 days) to have the house ready for a walk through with her. Mike told her that that wasn't enough time to have it ready since he's working two jobs and I'm dealing with two kids. Cleaning up, sure, we could handle that. But things like cleaning the carpet, washing walls, washing windows, fixing dings in the walls.. there was no way. But no, she wouldn't give us an extension. She doesn't seem at all bothered by the fact that we're in a lease until November. She expects us out of the house whenever it sells. On top of that, she also wants us to vacate the house whenever a potential buyer wants to come look at it. This is so ridiculous. What am I supposed to do? Pick up my two kids and wander around on the street until they're done? I don't have a car or a place to go. Mike and I decided that we'd try to find another place ASAP. Although this is really maddening and inconvenient, it'll be good to be out from under her thumb. She's expecting us to stay in the house until it sells. But if she feels that she can break lease, then why can't we? She can't really complain if we move out early, although I'm sure she will. She needs us to keep paying rent so that she can make the payments on the house herself. Maybe she'll realize that she's asking too much when we move out and she can't find a buyer for 6 months! Sorry, that's my mean side talking a bit there. She won't even buy us out of our lease though. So I have no idea how we're going to find first month's rent and a deposit for a new place. But for now, we've started packing and looking for somewhere else. It's a little hard to do since Mike took on another job and is never home. I'm having to do all the packing myself, and who knows when we'll find time to look at a new place. It'll be hard to move again, but maybe we can find a cheaper place. That would certainly help a lot.

8 comments:

M A Haddox said...

I added the "loss of sleep" label as it completely pertains :)

This post looks pretty negative, but 1- how can you not be, and 2- we're really trying to optimistic about this, but it's good to rant so that pressure doesn't burst out at the wrong time.

I really compliment Jessica during all this. I feel horrible for not being able to be there through the day. An average day has me working from 8am-midnight at the moment. I can feel my body slowly adjusting so that will be no problem. I'm more concerned about how we'll do emotionally more than physcially and financially.

Ah, well. Like Jessica said, it'll be much better to just get away from our landlord and deal with the other issues later. There's no WAY that Health and Welfare will take my kids. I have plans that include them and the black market -- They can't just steal my investment away from me!

Pure Golding said...

Our prayers are with you. I'm not sure why the government thinks they can scare or torment people the way they do. What they did was wrong and what your landlady is doing is wrong too. I am going to ask a lawyer friend we know if there is anything you can do. Not having a copy of your rental contract I'm not sure what stipulations she has added about selling and cutting your lease short, but it really should be a two way street. I will let you know if I find anything out. Love , Jen

MNATTH said...

You are right in trying to be optimistic. Being positive is power. Take it day by day and realize that life is a really LONG process and hopefully one day all of these trials will seem small when you look back on them even though they are so big now. You will get through them. You are strong. Don't give up on working hard. We love you and will pray for you too!

Juliet said...

Wow.
First of all:landlord. Grr, I've been there and it is very tough to have to move because of the problems they've created or allowed. Real hard, and we had no kids at the time, let alone two of them. That sucks.

And then added to it, the other thing.... I'll just call you tomorrow so I can properly console and commiserate because it's too awful to comprehend. Reminds me of what an aunt of mine said once about DCFS "What can they do? If the kids are fine, a lot. Seems like if children are actually endangered or mistreated, not a ---- thing they can do."
So sad.

Haddorkus said...

I am so sorry about the drama. I wish I could help. But Mike is right you need to fight for the kids or their investment will never turn around. I been looking into that black market thing, very lucrative. Ian fell off the charts when he was little and we had to take him to the WIC clinic all the time to get weighed. I hated just doing that. I always thought that they were jugding me and thinking doesn't she feed him? When we could finally stop doing the monthly weigh-ins it was such a relief. Carter was the same way but we were in a different place and when they looked at Ian's charts and saw he was the same, they left me alone about him, it was nice. Good Luck, our prayers are with you.

littlegloria TREASURESREBORN said...

Honey, the "neighbor" probably is the landlady. 'Just a hunch. The two seem so close to one another that it's a thought.
I'm sure I' repeating a thought when I say that it's good that someone is looking in on you. I'm sure the people who are loving and concerned are your friends; the others have some sort of pride and want to hide from you and not be open about their feelings. I've been through the same, only it was your blood father who wanted to take the children away from me and raise them with Frances. I'm sure I'm late in saying to drop to your knees with your children and call upon the Powers of Heaven to stay the wolves from the door. Moving is ugly work, but it's like getting a bath. The old stuff/memories go down the drain and fresh flowers bloom. Perhaps, also less money given to a landlord will mean you could only have to have one job and then be at home with the children more. I "ache" for you two. Move to Utah and start again...with us...go to the UofU?

littlegloria TREASURESREBORN said...

One more thing, have you talked to Dad about this...he is an officer in the mortgage/rental business?????

Dave&Karen said...

Man! Open the flood gates! You know, it's not so bad that CPS came to your place. On the other hand, it's great that there is a service like that out there to check on people in case there really are problems. We've had neighbors get checked on and things like that and it is usually undeserved, but CPS is just there to protect kids who don't have a good chance in life in the first place. If five healthy, unabused kids are checked for every one who is in a bad situation, I think it's worth it. Just sorry someone had to put you guys through that. We pray for you guys and want you to know we love you. Stay strong.