11.13.2008

Again...

For those of you who don't know yet, Mike lost his job on Friday. Due to reasons we've mentioned in past posts, the company was no longer financially able to retain him as an employee. There's good and bad to this. The bad, obviously, is that we have no income at the moment. The good news is that we're planning to have Mike go back to school! This is also good news for me, not because I'll have to work full time after being a stay-at-home mom for 5 years, but because we're most likely moving back to East Idaho. I've been wanting to move back ever since we left. But, ugh... I hate job and apartment hunting. It's especially hard when we live in another city. We'll probably have to take a few days for a trip out there for interviews and to look at apartments and houses to rent. Mike has already looked at both BYU-I and ISU. He has missed enrollment for Winter Semester at BYU-I, and ISU doesn't list any admissions deadlines. So we're waiting to hear back from counselors from each school. We also need to figure out what will happen with Hyrum's school. I really hope that there's another school he can transfer to without having to retest.

We had a good Halloween. Mom came to visit for Tessie's baby shower which was on November 1st, so she was able to come trunk-or-treating with us and the kids. I procrastinated making costumes for the kids, and had nothing for them to wear. I ended up digging out old costumes from years past. Emily wore Hyrum's dinosaur costume that he wore when he was just under a year old. Mike had to literally cram her into it with his knee on her back to get it to fit. Oh well. She loved it! She was pretty upset when we took it off to put her pajamas on. Hyrum also wore a too small kitty costume from 2 years ago. His wasn't nearly as small as Emily's was. It nearly fit him except that the sleeves were too small. He loved being a kitty. Emily enjoyed petting his fur and scratching his ears. Our friend Phil and his daughter Anna visited as well and joined us in a quick door-to-door trick-or-treat around a nearby neighborhood.

I don't have any pictures of the kids in costume. Sorry. What I do have is Hyrum's new school picture complete with a fake "smile" and messy hair. Enjoy!



Look forward to our next post after Hyrum's 5th birthday on Monday! (hopefully)

9 comments:

MNATTH said...

You know..I had a friend who lost her brother and I was reading quotes on LDS.org to try to know what to say to her and I came across a quote from James E. Faust that said (paraphrasing) "there is a divine purpose in our afflictions" and that's kind of stuck with me. When the littlest or biggest of afflictions come at us...it has a purpose. We may not always find out what purpose it holds...but in one way or another it will bring us closer to Him if we "endure it well". Who knows...maybe this is an answer for you guys to move back to East Idaho. It's so nice to be close to family!!

MNATTH said...

Wait...by the way. The last time I was reading your blog Tanner was with me and he was saying "how sad!" and I didn't know what he was meaning...well-it's the good ol picture of the kid sliding into the cheese grater! I had a hard time explaining graphic enhancements to him.

Jessica Haddox said...

Ha! That's so hilarious! I laughed so hard reading that. I hope we didn't give poor Tanner nightmares! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Sandi said...

Sorry about the job thing. But can I be happy that you're moving back to East Idaho? You could even move into my ward! There are lots of houses around here to rent. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help in your East Idaho searches. What is Mike going into? Has he checked to see if EITC has a program for it? (Waaaaaay cheaper, and nearby too!) What kind of job are you looking for? I'll keep my eyes open.

Jessica Haddox said...

YES! You CAN help! If there are houses near you to rent, if you could let us know of any reasonably priced ones. IT's not that I want to make you do all the work for me, but... well, ok... it kinda is.

Yeah, I'm kidding. But if you do hear of any good deals, please please let me know! We'd prefer to rent a house since our kids really need a yard to play in.

I'm looking for any and all jobs, but it has to pay high enough for me to support the family. Might even have to pay enough to pay for child care, although I really hate to have to do that.

Mike is probably going into CS. I looked at EITC, but didn't see any courses listed there. I just briefly skimmed over the list though, so maybe... It would be pretty darn convenient. He's hoping that ISU has enough remote courses that he can do a lot of his classes at the Idaho Falls campus.

Hil said...

That stinks Mike lost his job. It's happening to a lot of people these days. My unemployment benefits ran out this week, but luckily I get the extended benefits!

Anyways, ISU does have lots of classes in Idaho Falls. Good luck with the move!

Sandi said...

It's been a while since I've rented, so I'm not sure what a good price is. Maybe you should email me and tell me what your price range is, the least amount of bedrooms you can live with, etc. And how many cats do you have? sandibeek@gmail.com

Sandi said...

You've been tagged! (If you want to.) Check out my blog for the details.

Pure Golding said...

We would get to see you more as we might (MIGHT) go see Caryssa once in a while. I pray everything works out for you. Of course by the time you move and get settled we may be living in Rock Springs again. That stinks cuz then we'll be even further. Oh well. We take what life sends... "Come what may and love it" right?