9.17.2008

Posted thoughts

Been awhile since we've posted, so here's something I wrote to Dan awhile back to fill the void:

I saw something strange on my toilet paper package. It said at the bottom of the package, "24 Rolls/Rollos - 1002.0 SQ FT/PIES²"

The first thing I thought was, Why did they have to put .0 at the end of the number? Couldn't they just leave it as 1002 sq ft? Then I saw that they squared "pies." That got me extremely confused! It's spelled PI -- I can't believe they got that wrong. And why are they using PI in a toilet paper roll formula anyway? Perhaps they measure the size of a roll of toilet paper by taking PI and squaring it... but then there is no associated measurement from the actual roll (like radius to figure out the area of a 2-dimensional circle). The actual equation they intended may have been 1002sq ft divided by PI squared. But still -- PIES? Maybe they meant "Plys" as in "Double Ply?" Man, what a really funny typo!


I found out later that PIES means "Feet" in Spanish... Oh, well.

5 comments:

Jill Crooks said...

"pie" could also mean cowpie which would be fitting if cows used toilet tissue.

Sandi said...

Mike, we can always tell when you author the post. !Te espero muchas araƱas!

Haddorkus said...

pies= "pee-ayes" But at least it keeps you occupied. That reminds me of the funny thing I found at the Chinese restaurant and never posted, I better go do that.

Pure Golding said...

Run out of other reading material in the bathroom? I suggest keeping magazines or some other book so you don't have to read the labels on t.p. or toothpaste or other.
We had a great time at dinner! Thanks for coming down. Hope you had fun with your old missionary comp and at the zoo.

hjjepp said...

YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!