12.11.2007

Emily's Birthday

First things first. I promised you all pictures of the kids in their costumes a long time ago, so here you go! In the process of taking these pictures, I learned that Hyrum isn't very photogenic. Oh well, I still think he's cute!






Congratulations to those few of you who guessed Steve and Blue! And yes, even though Blue is blue, she IS a girl! I even made Hyrum a handy-dandy notebook just like Steve's to go with the costume. But he's played with it so much since Halloween that it's nearly destroyed. Those of you who voted for Hello Kitty deserve some credit though. We wanted to dress Emily as Hello Kitty, but couldn't figure a good way to do it on a tight budget and little time.

Thursday was Emily's first birthday! I can't believe it's been a year already. She seems so much younger to me than Hyrum did at a year old. After the good reviews I got on Hyrum's birthday video, I decided to do one of Emily's birthday. Sorry, not all of the Hyrum speak is translated because... well honestly, I have no idea what he was saying some of the time. Here's my cute girl on her big day!





Emily started to get the hang of opening presents. She managed to completely unwrap one of them herself. She got 3 shirts from me and Mike and a shirt, sweater, and pair of jeans from my mom. She looks adorable in all of them! Emily never did eat her cake. The rest of us didn't mind finishing it off for her! I do have some deceptive pictures of Emily with cake on her face and in her hair to commemorate the event.


Emily has finally started to crawl up on her knees. She still prefers to inch around on her belly, but maybe she'll get used to crawling in the next few days and do that more often. She has also started to pull up to standing. It's a little frustrating for me because she'll pull up to something and then get stuck and scream. She doesn't like letting go and falling on her bum. I figure she'd better get used to it or she'll never learn to walk!Last Sunday, we couldn't get Emily into her old dress. She's just gotten too big! We were about to resign ourselves to dressing her in her best casual clothes for church until I remembered an old hand-me-down dress from when I was a year old! My grandma Page made it for me when I was a baby, and I've had it ever since. It's still rather large on Emily, but she got a lot of compliments from the ladies at church. I was going to do a side by side comparison of me in the dress and her in the dress, but I couldn't find the picture of me I was looking for. Maybe my mom can help me out with that one. Till then, here's Emily. Hmm, I think I had more hair...


Hyrum is still loving school. He complains on the days when he doesn't have class because he wants to go so badly. Lately, he has taken to sleeping with his toy school bus that holds his Mega Blocks. It's a pretty big bus, so I usually have to convince him that it's better to leave it at the foot of his bed. The bus drivers told me that he has made lots of friends and that he is the best behaved and most polite on their route. That made me very proud! They told me about two of his friends, Priscilla and Santos. I was looking for a conversation topic with Hyrum and decided I'd ask him about his friends.

"Hyrum, is Priscilla in your class?"
"Yeah."
"Are you and Priscilla friends?"
"Yes."
"Do you like Priscilla?"
"Yes!"
"What about Santos? Do you like Santos?"
"NO!!"

I laughed SO hard! I still haven't figured out why he says he doesn't like Santos, but the answer is always the same. The bus ladies tell me that he and Santos get along great. I think maybe Hyrum just prefers girls. All of his friends up till now have been girls.

Someday, I'll have to try to make a video of Hyrum saying his bedtime prayers. It's so cute, and Mike and I have a hard time not laughing. Here's how it usually goes:

"Father in Heaven, we're thankful to family. For Mom, and Dad, and Hyrum, and Emily, and DeeDee (the cat), and Puddins (Hyrum's stuffed cat), and Cookie (Monster), and Boris (Joe's stuffed duck from Blue's Clues). We're thankful go to school. We're thankful go to sleep. Name of Jesus Christ... and Dad, and Mom, and Emily, and DeeDee. Name of... and Puddins, and Grandma, and Grandpa. Name of Jesus Christ, Amen!"

And so I leave you with a few more random pictures until I post again.


3 comments:

Haddorkus said...

Happy Birthday Emily, how can she be a year old already? I loved the cake video, especially Mike shoving it in her face while she tried to cough.

Bug did that low crawl thing. He sort of inched around for a while, then learned the army crawl, then he learned how to bounce around standing on his knees, then he walked on his knees, and then he got around to walking. Both my boys walked after 14 months. People always tried to say stuff to me about them not walking but I never listened, I knew they would get around to it.

Also, Innie fell off the charts for almost a year. Bug almost did, his lowest was 5%. People were always trying to scare us about that one too. They gained weight, they made accomplishments, I wasn't worried. And Innie is not the smallest boy in his third grade class, almost but maybe second to smallest. They do their own thing and make up for it in other ways.

Jessica Haddox said...

Yeah, I agree. As long as you know they're healthy, that's all that really matters. Kids will develop at their own pace. They'll learn when they're ready. I remember how little your kids were, so it's probably a lot of genetics. They all seem to have grown up wonderfully.

M A Haddox said...

Once she starts walking we'll put tacks in between her toes when she gets into places she's not supposed to go.